The White Coat

Mike started medical school with a white coat ceremony.  I wasn't able to attend, but his parents were there to see him receive a waist length white coat, defining a medical student, not quite a doc yet.  As med school came to a close, graduation, then moving to PA, it was an honor to begin residency with a long white coat.

Now try ironing the thing, because as the training continued, for the next seven years, the laundry service did not cater to trainees and their stiff 100% cotton long white coats.

Well, the other day, I needed to iron Mike's white coat for a photo shoot for his new job.  The photographer even stated in an e-mail that Mike should come to the photo shoot with the "coat ironed."  This was not easy.  I'm not very skilled at this sort of thing anyway, but knowing that this particular white coat could be in a picture that is blown up to billboard size, I better start taking this ironing seriously.   So, a pinky length wrinkle could be like 10 feet long.  Lovely.  Pressure's on.

We are doing a study in the Gospel of John in our church, and I am attempting to be excited about it, but it is hard for me.  I really like it when the sermons have to do with life application, how I can be better, how I can handle my role in the family better, and how I can see situations better.  Basically, life applications for the betterment of myself and my family, and as a member of the kingdom of God.

The Gospel of John is a clear picture of who Jesus was and is; His relationships, His declarations, prophecy fulfillment, painted imagery of all He represents and has come to be; the great "I am."  How could I not be excited about such an in depth study?

The same way that I am not excited about this coat that I ironed being blown up on a huge billboard.   I know I am limited, and not perfect, and will leave a few pinky length wrinkles that the photographer will have to photo-shop out.  I know that I need to improve and be refined like silver and gold, and precious gems, until I am called to heaven as His spotless bride, without wrinkle or blemish.  But, to imagine something sturdy and white, without wrinkle made of purity, actually living, seems impossible.

But let's just get real for a minute.  I like fixing my eyes on my wrinkles, because altering some mannerism can smooth a few out. Who am I kidding? I will never be able to steam out my wrinkles enough to be perfect!  I will never be able to take something meant to be pure and make it so.

But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. Hebrews 10:12-14 ESV
He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. Revelation 19:13-14 ESV

I need to fix my eyes on Jesus, the de-wrinkler of my life and perfecter of my faith, and the book of John is making me do that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd