Will You Settle for the Moon?

I caved in when the Sirius XM Satelite Radio offered 5 months for $20.  Our subscription on our minivan had ended last summer, and after we had been harassed by Sirius Radio for months, with ludicrous offers, that wonderful bargain came.  I jumped on it because I love the Broadway channel,  the kids radio, and all the genres at my fingertips. 

Today I heard a piece from "Songs for a New World" called Stars and the Moon on the Broadway channel.  I know nothing about this show, but the poor character would "rather have" extra than what she had, or could have had in the beginning.  Hoping and wishing, and pushing for more and more. Turns out, she concludes through Jessica Molaskey's penned lyric, "I'll never have the moon."  Isn't that the way it goes.  We want and want, and store up more and more, and we can never quite have the moon, which her original love offered her with a promise of commitment, but she sacrificed for money, glamor, travel and a yacht.

Last week we saw Jersey Boys at the Hershey Theater.  It was a great show.  An inside view of what may have gone on in the group with the famous Frankie Valli, ended up very similar.  Frankie has a real gift, a clear voice that draws you into the music, consistently accurate and inviting.  But what many fans sadly don't see is the sadness, the loneliness, the makeshift homes within hotel rooms, broken relationships, and the background money shenanigans.

This morning I highlighted Proverbs 3:13-18.
 Blessed is the one who finds wisdom,
  and the one who gets understanding,
 for the gain from her is better than gain from silver
  and her profit better than gold.
 She is more precious than jewels,
  and nothing you desire can compare with her.
 Long life is in her right hand;
  in her left hand are riches and honor.
 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
  and all her paths are peace.
 She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her;
  those who hold her fast are called blessed.
 
 The LORD by wisdom founded the earth;
  by understanding he established the heavens;
 by his knowledge the deeps broke open,
  and the clouds drop down the dew.
 
I am so encouraged that we can peer in on the lives of others through musical theater and characterization, and glean from their lives. That we have access to the living and active Word to set the record straight and full access to the One who founded the earth and established the moon.  Through almost any means, we can be drawn back to the One who does not break promises.

All came full circle as Mike and I played Race for the Galaxy with the new Alien Artifacts expansion tonight.  We were racing to own planets and developments within galaxies, and rack up points to beat each other out.  It was a tie.  Sounds very geeky, but it's a very good game.  My favorite game with my favorite person.  I'm so grateful to be able to have time and health to play a game tonight, last time we played was at Hershey Med Center in October.  To me, this is my moon for the day. A moment of gratefulness after a very productive day, thanking the God who sustained me and gave me an other chance at living. 

What moon are you setting your sights on?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd