Winner Winner

Mike and I play this strategy card game, called Race for the Galaxy.  He just bought the 2nd Expansion Arc, so we are playing tonight with an added "orb."  Very interesting.  I hated playing this game in the beginning, and then after playing about 12 times, I started to really like it.  Now, it's my favorite game that we play together.  But tonight, the practice game, with the orb, was very confusing.  Once the game was over, I realized that every token from the orb had symbols on it that could have helped me throughout the game.  "It's very beneficial to expand the orb so you can collect tokens, which give you bonuses throughout the game," he says while cleaning up the cards.  Would have been nice to know half way through the game, or possibly in the beginning? Oh well, it was practice.

I had very good professors in college, and my violin professor had me pegged.  He would say things like,  "You should pray for the strength to practice and not pray to have a good lesson."  He said this in the context of another student, leaving me to read between the lines, but this is basically what he meant.  I can imagine how much better a musician I would be if I had done just that.  Is that what you call a lazy streak and supplement it with prayer?  I'd say so.

So, are we really in a practice round of life, or is this the real thing?  Do we have little orb tokens with symbols on them and have no idea that they will help us? Maybe. Do we have access and translation for the living and active Word of God and not bother reading it? Yes.  I know some very insightful people, whom I would never assume would miss the orb tokens of life, but maybe they do.   It is an investment of asking for wisdom and insight, gleaning from the scriptures, and working to get there.

The world offers many options for what it means to win. What will be yours? 


Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 1 Cor 9:24-27

I can tell you right now, the competition will be on tomorrow night.  I better be on my A-game to get these orb symbols worked out, so I can give a hearty dose of competition and possibly win.  We do plenty of things with passion but we don't give each other prizes for 2nd place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd